Old Football Grounds And
                      Stands Banner

Springfield Park
Wigan Athletic FC

Thanks to Dave Couseins a Wigan Athletic fan for providing the photos in the first section below.

Main Stand (External View)

Main Stand External View

Main Stand
This stand was built in 1954 and replaced a previous stand
that had been destroyed by fire in the previous year.

Main Stand

St Andrews Terrace
This was also known as the Popular side and the roof was erected over this terrace in the late 1920's.

St Andrews Terrace

The record crowd attendance at Springfield Park was 27,526 v Hereford United. This was for an FA Cup 2nd Round match, played on 12 December 1951. Both teams at the time were non-league and this attendance
is still the largest recorded (other than at Wembley) for a game between two non-league teams. 

St Andrews Terrace
This later photo shows that part of the roof had been replaced by a newer structure at some point.

St Andrews
                                  Terrace

The Famous Grassy Bank

At one time so fans stood on the grass as well as the front terrace. This led to some comical scenes especially
if there had been heavy rain, with
some fans ending up sliding down it. Some voluntarily and others not!

Grassy Bank

Town End
At one time there was a cycle track around the playing area and this accounts for
the semi-circular nature that can be seen at the front of the terraces.

Town End

Looking Towards The Town End
Floodlights were first used at the ground in 1965.

Looking
                                  Towards the Town End

The following photos were taken by Han van Eijden at the very last game to be played at Springfield Park, against Manchester City. This was the first leg of a semi-final play off game, for what was then Division Two. It was played on Saturday 15 May 1999. The game ended in a 1-1 draw, with Paul Dickov for Manchester City becoming the last player to score a goal at Springfield Park. Wigan lost the second leg at Maine Road 1-0.

Main Stand


Main Stand, Springfield
                            Park, Wigan Athletic

St Andrews Terrace
(This stand replaced the older covered terraces shown above)

St Andrews Terrace,
                            Springfield Park, Wigan Athletic

Town End

Town End, Springfield Park, Wigan
                                Athletic

Looking Towards The Famous Grassy Bank
(Or the Shevington End as it was officially known)

Shevington Road End, Springfield
                        Park, Wigan Athletic

A Closer Look At The Famous Grassy Bank
This was unique feature of the ground and one that is well remembered by visiting supporters,
as away fans were housed at that end. However for safety reasons, in the 1990's a fence was
put in place at the rear of the terrace to prevent fans standing on the grass bank behind.

Grassy Bank, Springfield Park,
                        Wigan Athletic

Springfield Park was opened in 1897
The Club moved to the then called JJB Stadium in 1999.
Springfield Park was redeveloped for housing.

Below is a video from YouTube showing the ground in 1979
Thanks to W Gibson for sharing this with us:


Return To The Old Grounds And Stands Main Menu
 
Return to the Wigan Athletic page of the Football Ground Guide

Football Ground Guide Main Index