Old Football Grounds And
                    Stands Banner 

Layer Road, Colchester United
Ground Opened in 1907*

External View Of The Club Offices in Layer Road

Layer Road, Colchester, External
                        View

Visitors Entrance

Layer
                              Road, Colchester, Visitors Entrance

Main Stand
This stand was built in 1933.

Main
                              Stand, Layer Road, Colchester United

Popular Terrace

Popular
                              Side, Layer Road, Colchester United

Clock End
Originally this end was called the Spion Kop.

Clock End, Layer Road,
                          Colchester United

Layer Road End (Taken from the TV Gantry)
Local folklore has it that this end was built by prisoners of war in the 1940's

Layer Road End,
                          Colchester United

Looking Towards The Layer Road End

Looking
                              Towards The Layer Road End, Colchester

Looking Towards The Clock End

Looking Towards The Clock End, Layer
                      Road, Colchester United

Looking Towards The Barside Popular Terrace
(Taken from the TV Gantry)

Looking Towards
                      The Barside Popular Terrace

Record Attendance: 19,072 v Reading
FA Cup 1st Round, November 27th, 1948.

The club moved to the Weston Homes Community Stadium in 2008

Return To The Old Grounds And Stands Main Menu
 
Return to the Colchester United page of the Football Ground Guide

Football Ground Guide Main Index

* The Club was originally used by Colchester Town Football Club.
Colchester United took over the ground in 1937.