Filbert Street -
(Photo Taken In
Thanls to Graham
Warr for providing the photo above.
(Photo Taken In 1992)
Main Stand as pictured above was originally
opened on November 24th 1921 and was
subsequently replaced by the new Carling Stand
in the 1993/94 season. Note the 'pigeon loft'
(as Simon Inglis describes it in his book
'Football Grounds Of Great Britain') on the
roof of the stand, which housed the media and
cameras. Interestingly, part of this stand was
damaged by a bomb in World War 2, which landed
nearby on November 14th, 1940.
Kop (South) Stand
(Photo Taken In 1992)
Spion Kop (South) Stand was originally built
in 1927 and was known as the 'double decker
stand' with seating above and terrace below.
It was made all seated in the Summer of 1994,
giving the ground an all seated capacity of
Old Entrance To The Club Offices
the terraced housing to either side (very
similar in appearance to Luton's present
entrance to the Oak Road Stand) - It was this
that was a factor in the club not being able
to expand Filbert Street further and taking
the decision to move to a new stadium.
Popular Side (East)
Popular Side was at one time an open terrace
which was covered in the late 1920's and then
made all seated in the early 1970's. It was
also noted for having a clock perched on its
The Carling Stand
was opened in 1994. The stand which cost
in the region of £5m to construct, was a
great looking two tiered stand, with 28
executive boxes running across its middle.
However, with the move to the new Walkers
Stadium, the stand was to be demolished
just nine years after it was built.
Probably making it one of the best and
most expensive stands to end up being
bulldozed in modern times.
South & Carling Stands
Filbert Street End
always thought the Filbert Street (North)
Stand, was one of the oddest looking stands in
English football. The former small covered
terrace, was made all seated in the early
1970's and then in 1975, the Club made the
decision to replace its roof, with a new
structure incorporating a row of 20 Executive
Boxes. I always wondered
whether any of the Executive Box windows had
ever been damaged or broken by a wayward
shot. An electric scoreboard
was added to its roof in 1998, although it was
infamous with Leicester fans for regularly
Towards The South Stand
in the photo above, how the lower tier of this
stand had been made all seated.
The above model
can be viewed at the back of the Club
Shop at the King Power Stadium. It was
built by Mick Bates a
fan of the Club. The detail
and quality of the model are simply
stunning. Visit Mick's website:
game played at Filbert Street:
Was a reserve game against Melton Swifts on
October 17th, 1891. When the ground was first
opened it was called Walnut Street, to be
renamed at a later stage. In 1919 the Club
dropped the Fosse suffix from its name and
replaced it with City. It is interesting that
there have been recent discussions as to
whether the Club should return to the Fosse
name (Fosse came from 'The Fosse Way' was an
ancient Roman Road, near to which the Club
played its first game in 1884).
47,298 v Tottenham
Hotspur, FA Cup 5th
Round, February 18th, 1928.
First game under floodlights:
October 23rd 1957 v Borussia Dortmund
Last game played at Filbert Street:
Was a Premier League game v Tottenham Hotspur,
on May 11th 2002. Leicester won the game 2-1 .
in front of 21,716 fans. Leicester took the
lead on 60 minutes through Paul Dickov, with
Teddy Sheringham equalising for the visitors
from the penalty spot on 54 minutes.
Leicester's Matt Piper became the last player
to score a goal at Filbert Street, when he
grabbed the winner, 19 minutes from time.
Football Club were originally formed as
Leicester Fosse in 1884. They originally
played at Victoria Park and had a brief
spell at Belgrave Road before returning to
Victoria Park in 1888. In 1891 they moved to
their new Filbert Street ground (which was
also called the City Stadium) where the Club
were to remain for 111 years, before moving
to the new Walkers Stadium (now called the
King Power stadium) in 2002. The Filbert
Street ground was demolished in 2003 and was
re-developed as the 'Filbert Village' -
accommodation for students of the nearby
DeMontford & Leicester universities.
Return To The Old
Grounds And Stands Main
the Leicester City page of the Football
Guide Main Index