Wimbledon

Plough Lane

North Stand
North Stand
South Stand
South Stand
West Bank
West Bank
Wandle End
Wandle End
North Stand External View
North Stand External View

Ground Opened: 1912
Ground Closed: 1998
Number of years at the ground: 86* 
First Match Played:
Wimbledon 2 Carshalton Athletic 2, Friendly Match, 7th September 1912
Last Competitive Game Played: 
Wimbledon 0 Crystal Palace 3, Division One, 4th May 1991, Attendance: 10,002
Record Attendance: 
18,000 Wimbledon 3 HMS Victory 0, FA Amateur Cup 3rd Round, 2nd March 1935. 
Floodlights first used: v Arsenal, London Charity Cup, 3rd October 1960
Club moved to: Selhurst Park
Distance from Plough Lane to Selhurst Park: 17 miles

* Although the first team vacated in 1991, the ground was still used for reserve fixtures until 1998.

The rear section of the North Stand was opened in 1959.
In 1979 the roof of the stand was extended over the front paddock.
This was the Main Stand at Plough Lane.

North Main Stand

Main Entrance

Plough Lane Entrance Sign

As Seen From The Wandle End

North Stand From Wandle End

A Closer Look

A Closer look At The North Stand

This stand was originally at Clapton Orient's Millfields Road Ground
and was brought to Plough Lane in 1923*
It was 
remodelled after the Second World War as it had suffered some bomb damage.

South Stand

External View

South Stand External View

Taken From The Adjacent Terrace

South Stand View From Side Terrace

As Seen From The Wandle End

South Stand As Seen From The Wandle End

A Closer Look

A Closer Look At The South Stand

* It is thought that the stand was originally built at Clapham Orient in the early 1900's

West Bank Terrace
(also known as the Durnsford Road End)
The roof was erected in 1960.

West Bank Terrace

External View

West Bank Terrace External View

Looking Across From The South Side

Westbank terrace from the South Side

A Closer Look

West Bank Terrace A Closer Look

Wandle End
It was called the Wandle End after the River Wandle which runs behind.

Wandle End

Viewed From The West Bank

Wandle End Viewed From The West Bank

A Closer Look

A Closer Look At The Wandle End

Looking Across Towards The South Stand?

Looking Across Towards The South Stand

The ground was left derelict for four years before being demolished in 2002. It eventually was redeveloped for housing which was completed in 2008. The development and individual blocks of flats are named after former Wimbledon Players and Managers, for example, there is  Bassett House, after Manager Dave Bassett. There is also a commemorative plaque on a wall of the development. 

Opened in 1958 on Durnsford Road
It almost seemed part of the ground...

Sportsman Pub

It was also demolished to make way for the new residential flats.

Below is a video from YouTube showing the ground in 1979
Thanks to W Gibson for sharing this with us:


After the Taylor Report the Premier League had made it a stipulation for Clubs that stadiums be made all seated. It was felt that the costs of re-developing Plough Lane or at least trying to make it all seated were prohibitive and the Club left. No one could have foreseen at the time that this would start a chain of events that would result in 2003 with the Club moving to Milton Keynes some 55 miles away and be renamed MK Dons.

If you possess photos of the old Plough Lane ground, which you would be happy to share with others via this website, or if you have any general feedback about this page, then please e-mail me at: duncan@footballgroundguide.com.

Special thanks to David Forsyth and Dave Couseins for providing the photos of Plough Lane, Wimbledon. They were taken in the late 1980s. At this time the ground capacity was 19,000.

Updated 16th March 2019

FACEBOOK

TWITTER