Ground Opened: 1946
Ground Closed: 2002
Number of years at ground: 56
First Competitive Game Played:
Hull City 0 v Lincoln City 0
Division Three, 13st August 1946.
Last Competitive Game Played:
Hull City 0 v Darlington 1
Division Three, 14th December 2002. Attendance 14,162
Record Attendance: 55,019 v Manchester United FA Cup 6th Round, February 26th, 1949.
Floodlights first used: January 1953 v Dundee.
Club moved to: Kingston Communications Stadium in 2002. The stadium became better known as the KC Stadium, but is now called the KCOM Stadium.
Distance from Boothferry Park to new stadium: 1 mile
The West Stand was built in time for the ground to be opened in 1946. It was referred to on the original plans for Boothferry Park as the 'Best Stand' and that name stuck in the minds of many Hull City fans. As it housed the teams changing rooms, directors area, press area etc... then it was the 'Main' Stand at the ground. Although a fairly simply design, being box-like in appearance, it served its purpose. A small television gantry was incorporated into its roof and it had windshields to either side of the stand. The players tunnel was located in the centre of the stand with the team dugouts located out front.
A Closer Look
The Team Dugouts
Note in the photo above, that just above the players tunnel there is a semi-circular plaque attached to the wall. This was the original name plate of the steam train named after Boothferry Park. When the train was taken out of service the name plate was given to the Club.
The East Side of Boothferry Park was often called the Kempton Road Stand, after the road that ran being the stand and railway line. A cover was erected over the terrace in 1952.
Behind this stand was grounds very own railway station, which was called Boothferry Park Halt. Opened in 1951, spectators could enter the ground via turnstiles on the station platform.
As Viewed From The South Stand
The South Stand was opened in 1966. It was built on what was called the Bunker's Hill Terrace.
The South Stand had an upper tier of 3,000 seats with a terraced lower tier that could hold 4,000.
The stand had a cantilevered roof, meaning that it was free of supporting pillars.
A Closer Look
The North End used have a tidy looking fair sized covered stand, that in some respects looked similar to the South Stand, with an upper tier of seating (with a capacity of 3,000 seats) and a lower tier of terrace. However in order to generate revenue, land was sold off so that a supermarket could be built at the back of it, but this entailed demolishing the stand and just leaving the front terrace behind. This took place in 1982.
The North Terrace was subsequently used to house away supporters.
Boothferry Park was the only Football League football ground to feature six floodlight pylons.
They were first used for an evening league match against Barnsley on 7th October 1964. They proved to be a good omen as Hull City won the game 7-0!
Although the Club left Boothferry in 2002, the ground lay derelict for a number of years.
The stadium was partially demolished in 2008, with the remnants cleared away in 2011.
This newsreel film shows highlights of the FA Cup Quarter Final match between Hull City v Manchester United. Played in February 1949, over 55,000 fans crammed into Boothferry Park to watch it.
The above file was produced by British Pathé and made publicly available via YouTube.
With confidence returning to the housing sector and house prices increasing, work was finally begun in 2013 on building residential homes on the Boothferry Park site.
As the building works (as of April 2016) are still continuing, it is not clear yet how exactly the former ground will be commemorated. However the street names on the development do refect its former heritage:
If you possess photos of the old Boothferry Park ground, which you would be happy to share with others via this website, or if you have any general feedback about this page, then please e-mail me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special thanks to Owen Pavey, David Forsyth and Stephan Hoogerwaard for providing the Boothferry Park Hull photos for this page.
'This Was Boothferry Park' video was produced by Boothferry Legend and made publicly available via YouTube.
'A fond farewell to Hull City FC's Boothferry Park' was produced by Strata Homes and made publicly available via YouTube.
'The Last Game At Boothferry Park' was made publicly available by TigerTubePlayer on YouTube.