Glanford Park, Scunthorpe United
v Swansea City, Championship League 3pm

Saturday, March 5th, 2011

By Paul O'Shea

I travelled by train from Lytham St Annes changing at Preston and Manchester to arrive into Scunny just after 12 and made my way straight to the Honest Lawyer for refreshment, a decent selection of real ales on albeit pricey at 2.90 a pint. Nice pub though with both sets of fans in watching the early match on Sky. From there it's a short walk to the Blue Bell a Wetherspoons which also had some decent beer on. Had some lunch in the spoons then went round the corner onto Doncaster road and caught the No. 35 bus to Tescos which is located across from the ground on a retail park. Just takes a few minutes and is only 1.70
I had already bought a ticket online for the Rainham Steel home stand, for 20, which is still a proper terrace. Even arriving with only 15 minutes to kick off I was able to get a great spot right behind the goal and with a barrier to lean on. The ground though does look a bit worn down generally, but there was a good atmosphere. The attendance though of 4,608 meant there were plenty of empty seats in the three other fairly small stands.

It is not that often you hear Lonnie Donnegan being belted out on the P.A. at grounds these days, but very appropriate song 'Any Old Iron' was echoing around the ground just before kick off.
The first half was mostly Swansea pressing Scunthorpe and how it stayed goalless, was a mystery to me. Needing to take a leak I headed for the loo at half time where there seemed to a problem with the plumbing as the floor was under an inch of water,  but needs must as fans were reduced to wading though. Pukka pies were available at 2.50 at the nearby snack bar.

The second half had Scunthorpe attacking the home end and they played much better as the home support got right behind their team and they went in front through a penalty. Swansea tried to grab an equaliser but to the dismay of their support of about 300 failed and Scunthorpe grabbed three vital points in their fight to stay up.
Got the bus back from outside Tesco at five past five and was back in the Wetherpoons ten minutes later. The town centre was very quiet and with hardly any evidence that a match had taken place. Caught my train at 1820 and was back home for half nine.


Are you an away or general football fan who has visited Glanford Park recently?
If so why not submit your own review of the ground and general day out?

Click here to find out more.

Return To The Scunthorpe Page
Return To The Main Menu