St Andrews -Birmingham City FC
Apart from the Main Stand on one side, the three other sides of St Andrews have been replaced with new stands. The Spion Kop and Tilton Road Ends were rebuilt in the 1994-95 season and the new Railway End was officially opened in 1999. The photos and video below show St Andrews before these major developments.
side of the ground got its name from the
Battle of Spion Kop that
took place during
the Boer War in the year 1900. The Spion
Kop was essentially a large hill that the
British attempted to capture from the
Boers and were unsuccessful
in doing so. The reports of the battle
captured the imagination
of the public at the time and a number
of grounds around the country that had
large banks of terrace, named them Spion Kops. The
St Andrews football ground itself
was opened in 1906.
from the Tilton Road End
Looking across the Spion Kop from 'Kop Corner'
A Closer Look At The Spion Kop
On A Matchday
Tilton Road End
It was replaced with a new Stand in 1994
Originally occuppied by just home fans it was subsequently split between home and away supporters.
One drawback that the stand had was that it was relatively easy to climb up onto the roof from the back of the terrace. It was not that uncommon to see someone sitting on the roof during the game!
A Closer look at the Tilton Road End
On A Matchday
This was replaced by a new stand in 1999
You can see from the photo above why it was called the Railway End. During the days of steam locomotives, smoke from the trains would often drift across the ground. Visiting teams sometimes suggested that the home side deliberately arranged for a train to pass by when they were attacking the the Railway End as their view of the goal was impeded.
Taken From The Tilton Road End
A Closer View Of The Railway End
Below is a video from YouTube
showing the ground in 1979
to David Forsyth and Han van
Eijden for providing photos for this page.
David took his photos of the
ground before a game against Newcastle
United in 1992. Whilst Han took his photos at a friendly against Liverpool
in July 1993.