Old Football Grounds And
                    Stands Banner

Athletic Ground - Seamer Road
Scarborough F
C

Entrance Sign Seamer Road

A series of photos of the Athletic Football Ground in Seamer Road Scarborough, taken in the late 1980's & 90's. The ground was originally opened in 1898 but was abandoned in 2007 when Scarborough Football Club went out of business. It was demolished in 2011. In its latter years it was renamed the McCain Stadium in a sponsorship deal with a frozen food producer. Whereas Old Trafford became known as the 'Theatre of Dreams' the stadium gained the nickname the 'Theatre Of Chips'. The record attendance was 11,130 against Luton Town on 8th January 1938.

No battle no victory!   View from the hillside

  Main Stand

Main Stand Scarborough

The Shed

The Shed Stand

East Terrace

East Terrace Scarborough

West Terrace

West Terrace Scarborough

During the mid-1990's both end terraces were replaced with two almost identical all seated stands. The East Stand was the first to be opened in 1993, with the West Stand opening two years later. When the ground closed it had an official capacity of  6,400. The photos above were taken in the late 1980's whereas the ones below were taken some 10 years later.

Looking Towards The East Stand

Looking Towards The East
                                        Stand

A Closer Look At The East Stand

East Stand Athletic
                                          Ground

Main Stand

Main Stand Athletic Ground
                                      Scarborough

The Shed

The Shed Stand Seamer
                                      Road

Special thanks to Owen Pavey, Han van Eijden and Dave Couseins for providing the photos for this section.


Return To The Old Grounds And Stands Main Menu
 

Football Ground Guide Main Index