St James' Park
Exeter City v Bradford City
Saturday March 14 th, 2009, 3pm
(Bradford City fan)
1. Why you were looking forward to going to the ground (or not as the case may be):
I have always wanted to go to Exeter, as I had heard that it is a very nice place, a student town, with lots of cheap pubs bars etc, and the weather air was like a mini break. Plus it was a big game us (Bradford) in 5th v Exeter in 6th..
2. How easy was your journey/finding the ground/car parking?
Our coach set off at 7am, from Bradford we stopped once for 45 minutes on the way down and we were in Exeter for 12.45, was quite amazed really, the ground was well signposted, but not any parking anywhere, god knows where our coach went after it had dropped us off.
3. What you did before the game pub/chippy.... home fans friendly?
We went to the Brook Green Tavern, 50m from the stadium very friendly has live football and good beers/ciders was quite busy it had a lovely beer garden too. We stayed in there for 1 hour so then went to the off licence bought a few cans of cider and chilled in the park, which you are allowed to do in Exeter just not drink on the streets in the city centre or near the ground.
4. What you thought on seeing the ground, first impressions of away end then other sides of the ground?
The stadium looked like a typical lower league stadium. It is built on a bit of a hill, which was quite unusual... there were no tickets so you paid on the gate. The turnstiles were tiny old fashioned ones for us big fellas but the Stewards were more than happy to let me in, via the exit!, Very cool stewards to be honest, friendly and laidback. The away end was very bland and open to all elements we found that out later as the icy wind started...
5. Comment on the game itself, atmosphere, stewards, pies, toilets etc..
The game itself was good but a bad result and a lucky goal meant Exeter won it, the atmosphere was ok not the best but not the worse, you were literally on top of the goal so had to keep diving out of the way of wayward shots. The toilets were awful 2 cubicles in a shed no lights, plus the knob fell off the one i was in, my mate had to get me out. Toilets were dark and dinghy. Why have pies when you're in Devon?? The cornish pasty was to die for £2.20 but warm and original. They also had some deal with Dominos pizza so sold that in the ground also.
6. Comment on getting away from the ground after the game:
Took maybe 5 minutes and we were away, no traffic at all... few fans jeering but nothing much.
7. Summary of overall thoughts of the day out:The journey back seemed to take forever but was a great day out , great trip, great place, this is a typical away day, and is what footballs all about getting up at 5am to go to the footy great stuff!
Are you an away or general football fan who has visited St James' Park recently?
If so why not submit your own review of the ground and general day out?
Find out more about how to submit a review
to the Guide to St James Park Exeter City FC page
Football Ground Guide Index